The Language Enhancement for Teachers course is designed to build on the teachers' existing knowledge and use of English and to improve and reinforce their confidence in using the language as a medium of instruction.
Who is the course suitable for?
- Native and non-native teachers of English
- Teachers of second language and speciality subjects
- Teachers who want to update their English language skills
- Teachers who want to develop their confidence in using the
- Teachers who want to expand their vocabulary and range
of expressions in English
What are the entry requirements?
To be registered on the Language Enhancement for Teachers
course you need to fulfil all of the requirements below:
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Advanced proficiency in English
- Minimum of a National Senior Certificate (Grade 12)
- A degree is highly recommended
What are the aims and objectives of the course?
On completion of the course, candidates will:
- Have an understanding of the English language system
- Have an understanding of various grammatical concepts in
- Have an understanding of various lexical concepts in
- Be familiar with aspects of English phonology
- Have improved fluency and accuracy in classroom
- Have improved their reading, listening and writing skills
- Be familiar with socio-cultural aspects of English
- Be better able to support their learners through an improved
level of English
How is the course structured?
In the input sessions, our trained and experienced teacher
trainers will cover theoretical aspects of the course, such as:
characteristics and needs of teachers developing their English
skills, teaching methodology and the basic principles of language
enhancement. The practical component provides trainees with the
opportunity to plan and present activities, lessons and projects,
using the knowledge acquired in developing their English skills.
These practical sessions are observed by experienced trainers who provide constructive feedback and help you to develop your
English language skills.
What approach is used?
The Language Enhancement for Teachers course approach
involves participatory learning, where trainees are very much
involved in the learning and teaching process. Most input sessions
will focus on trainees discovering new concepts and information
relating to developing their English skills through discussions,
research, projects, activities and presentations.
What will the course include?
- Personal language development in each of the four skill areas:
- Improving listening, speaking, reading, writing
- Increasing fluency and confidence in oral work
- Giving instructions
- Building on fluency
- Developing communication skills
- Listening and responding
- Getting a clear message across
- Language Awareness
- Building lexical and grammatical areas
- Practical classroom English
- Idioms, collocations, multi-word units, metaphors
- Register and connotation
- Grammatical terms and concepts
- Verbs and tenses
- Nouns and noun phrases
- Common grammatical errors
- Working on phonology
- Word stress, weak and strong sounds
- Connected speech
- Rhythm and intonation
- Socio-cultural aspects of English
- The role of English worldwide
- How changes in culture influence changes in language
How long is the course?
The Language Enhancement for Teachers course is a 40 hour
contact course which includes observed and assessed teaching
practice. The classes are held either three evenings per week or
two evenings per week plus Saturday mornings, running over a
period of four weeks.
What are the methods of assessment?
Assessment is continuous and includes a final exam. Trainees are
required to build and submit a portfolio of evidence for assessment,
which will contain assignments, completed projects, micro
teaching evidence and teaching practice lessons. Participation
and attendance is also considered as a major part of assessment,
since you will be required to participate in several tasks, activities
and presentations, either in groups or individually, throughout the
What certification is issued?
On successful completion of the course, trainees will receive a
Wits Language School Certificate of Competence in Language
Enhancement for Teachers.
Apply now for the Language Enhancement for Teachers course.