The Teaching Business English (TBE) course aims to provide pre-service and in-service teachers and trainers with the skills and knowledge required to teach Business English. This course will prepare you well for a career in Business English teaching.
Who is the course suitable for?
- Individuals interested in a career in Business English teaching who have no Business teaching experience
- Teachers who are interested in developing themselves professionally in the area of teaching Business English
What are the entry requirements?
To be registered as a trainee on the TBE course you need to fulfil all the requirements below:
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- First language proficiency in English
- Minimum of a National Senior Certificate (Grade 12)
- A professional teaching qualification (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA or PGCE)
- A degree is highly recommended for employment purposes post-course, although not essential
What are the aims and objectives of the course?
On completion of the course, candidates will:
- Understand the contexts in which Business English is used
- Understand, identify and respond to the needs of Business English learners
- Have developed an awareness of Business English language and skills and be able to apply these in their professional practice
- Select, employ and evaluate skills, techniques and strategies required to effectively teach Business English
- Be able to assess and evaluate Business English learners
- Be familiar with appropriate Business resources and materials
- Be familiar with professional development opportunities
How is the course structured?
In the input sessions, our trained and experienced teacher trainers
will cover theoretical aspects of the course, such as characteristics
and needs of business English learners, Business English teaching
methodology and the basic principles of Business English teaching
and learning. The practical component provides trainees with the
opportunity to plan and present activities, lessons and projects on
teaching Business English. These practical sessions are observed
by an experienced trainer who provides constructive feedback and
helps you to develop your Business English teaching skills.
What approach is used?
The TBE course approach involves participatory learning, where
trainees are very much involved in the learning and teaching
process. Most input sessions will focus on trainees discovering
new concepts and information about teaching Business English,
through discussions, research, projects, activities and presentations.
Trainees will also be involved in several tasks either in groups or
pairs and are required to contribute to their groups by sharing and
completing duties. Trainees will be provided with a textbook and
will be expected to prepare for the next day’s sessions by reading
the chapters assigned for homework. The textbook should be
used for revision and to assist with the completion of projects and
What will the course include?
- Business English teaching contexts
- Business English learners and teachers
- Assessing the needs of Business English learners
- English needs of businesses
- Designing suitable Business English courses
- Utilising authentic Business English materials
- Practising appropriate Business English teaching skills
- Utilising extra resources such as games, activities and internet sources
- Inter-cultural Business training
- Assessment and evaluation in business courses
- Professional development for teachers
- Teaching practice
How long is the course?
The TBE course is a 40-hour contact course which includes
observed and assessed teaching practice. The classes are held
three evenings per week, running over a period of four weeks.
What are the methods of assessment?
Assessment is continuous and there is no final exam. Trainees are
assessed on their practical teaching as well as a portfolio of written
assignments. Participation and attendance is also considered as a
major part of assessment, since you will be required to participate
in several tasks, activities and presentations, either in groups or
individually, throughout the course.
What certification is issued?
On successful completion of the course, trainees will receive a Wits
Language School Certificate of Competence in Teaching Business
English. The University of the Witwatersrand regards this as an
NQF level 5 qualification.
Apply now for the Teaching Business English course.